PUBLISHED JUNE 30, 2016
On June 8, the Ruskin Branch Library celebrated its 50th anniversary with historic displays and refreshments. The centerpiece display was a bulletin board with a construction paper palm tree with individual paper fronds for visitors to write their library memories or comments and attach to the tree.
The familiar library building in the center of Ruskin, was dedicated in 1966. Beginning in 1912, public library service was maintained in private homes in the area. It was largely culled from collections of private citizens and was operated by the Ruskin Woman’s Club. The library materials were moved to the Ruskin chamber of commerce building in 1929, and moved again in 1940 to the historic Ruskin Woman’s Club building, which still stands on the west side of U.S. 41. A Library Association was formed in 1963 to raise funds for the construction of the building that now stands at 26 Dickman Drive. The building was officially dedicated in June 1966.
For more information about the Ruskin Branch Library, call 813-273-3652, or visit Hillsborough County’s official website at www.hcplc.org/hcplc/locations/rus/.