SCC FunFest time is almost here
On March 16 (9 a.m. to 3 p.m.), the Community Association Central Campus, N. Pebble Beach Blvd., will be rocking with FunFest 2013. Admission is free, and it’s open to the public. This is the day Sun City Center showcases its lifestyle. Five to six thousand people flood the campus each year to enjoy the entertainment, exhibits and food.
“We chose the theme FunFest Goes Glam and are planning some fun things that reflect a spirit of glamour. For example, we plan to have a photo op station where you can have your picture taken with famous stars. Wear your bling and you will fit right in,” said FunFest Chair Susan Muise.
To avoid a parking hassle at the FunFest site, park at the SCC Community Hall on S. Pebble Beach and ride buses, which will be making continuous loops throughout the day. The free transportation starts at 8:30 a.m. with the last bus departing FunFest at 3:30 p.m.
If you’re driving, golf carts are the optimum way to go. Golf cart parking spaces will again be available at N. Pebble Beach and Cherry Hills, as well as on a blocked-off area just off the main parking lot on North Course Lane. The entrance to that parking area is directly in front of the Fitness Center.
Organizers emphasize that without sponsors, this event would not be possible and encourage visitors to pick up valuable product and service information at their displays.
About 30 health care professionals will be offering information on health services and performing various tests in the Caper and Horizon rooms in the Atrium. Mobile units participating will be parked on the east side of the Atrium.
Food/Clubs/Community Group Participation
Numerous clubs and community organizations will have representatives on hand to tell you all you want to know about their activities. Food offerings to suit all tastes are sponsored by CA clubs, and club displays and open rooms will be welcoming visitors with their wares and information.
Judy Schings, who has arranged an extensive entertainment schedule, says that some favorites (The Dukes and Elvis) will be returning in the Main Tent. They will be joined by Solid Gold, who will also be featured performers this year. Music By Gari will be in the Let’s Dance Tent by the Arts and Crafts Center. There will be space for dancing, so drop in. Wonders of Nature, always popular, will be in the Florida Room. Don’t miss exhibitions throughout the campus by other performers.
Performance locations and times will be listed in the schedule distributed by greeters on campus. Following is the schedule at press time.
• Main Tent: The Dukes at 9:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.; Elvis aka Bill Lindsey at 10:15 a.m. and 1:15 p.m.; Solid Gold at 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.
• “Let’s Dance” Tent: Music by Gari Jangraw from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Rollins Theatre: German-American Club Singers at 10:30 a.m.; Performing Arts Club at 11 a.m.; The Women’s Chorus at 11:30 a.m.; SCC Men’s Chorus at 12:15 p.m.;Swingers Square at 1 p.m.; Comedy and Song with John Foster at 1:45 p.m.
• Florida Room: SCC Line Dance Club at 9:15 a.m.; Country Cloggers at 10 a.m.; Solo Line Dance Club at 10:30 a.m.; Academy Ballroom Dance Club at 11:15 a.m.; Wonders of Nature at 12:15 and 1 p.m.
• Pool Side: Front Porch Pickers at 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
• Lap Pool:Swim Dancers at 11:30 a.m.
• Arts and Crafts Center: Displays from C.A.R.E, Elmira’s Wildlife Refuge and C.A.R.E., both all day.
Make sure FunFest 2013 is on your calendar and tell your friends. Come early so you don’t miss the 9 a.m. opening remarks by CA President Ed Barnes and FunFest Chair Susan Muise and flag raising by the American Legion at the bandstand. For more information, call 813-633-3500.